We’ve been riding the weird waves of summer this June, and as things start to open up, we’ve got some weekend reading to get you back into the swing of things.
WHAT’S NEW WITH US
A big welcome to Novipro as our new migration partner. Complementing consulting, business solutions and managed services with extensive mainframe experience, we expect to see a lot more transformative migrations flowing through!
Mark your calendar - we’re gearing up for another All-Virtual Migration Enablement Workshop set for Tuesday, July 21st 2020. Register now and join us from home while our own David Colebatch walks you through the first 3 phases of the cloud migration process.
Can’t wait? Take a sneak peak at a teaser of the kanban template you’ll walk away from the workshop with, gearing you up for migration with a comprehensive action plan!
“Hey David, I don’t think our IT contacts want to have the business owners involved in our interviews! What is your experience?”
Actually, we do indeed experience significant reticence from IT. However, it’s important to find a friendly IT contact and suggest an experiment. It’s a little awkward initially, but our IT brethren quickly learn new things from the business owners and build momentum. Eventually they don’t want to go through the process without the business. It’s a process.
Keep those questions coming!
APPLICATION TECHNOLOGY DISCOVERY
One of the first steps in the migration process is to quickly identify the low-hanging fruit for migration, but it’s also an opportunity to find where you might be exposed from out-of-date software. Tidal’s fast web application technology discovery is performed by interrogating your application servers, usually in just a second or two.
If you’re looking to access our past webinars, they’re available on demand after you register. Topics include: ingesting your application portfolio, source code analysis and more.
- NetApp Acquires Spot Cloud Cost Optimization, Migration Tools - These two visionaries have joined forces to both build the future of Application Driven Infrastructure, and to save you a whole bunch of money.
- It’s The End Of Infrastructure-As-A-Service As We Know It: Here’s What’s Next - It’s out with the old (virtual machines) and in with the way better (containerization and serverless computing). These solutions reduce Ops burden and increase efficiency - and if evolving your infrastructure sounds good, here’s a tip: go cloud-native.
- Five things nobody tells you about migrating to the cloud. (an illustrated thread) - Hot from the Twitterverse, these 5 fresh points on the pitfalls of typical cloud migration might just change your tune on your current migration plan. For more on lift-and-shift migration, David Colebatch has this to say.
- COVID-19 has become a powerful catalyst for rapid cloud migration - According to LogicMonitor’s study Cloud 2025 (and thanks to the pandemic) a huge majority of tech decision-makers now believe 95% of workloads will be in the cloud in the next 5 years. Want more numbers? 13% of respondents in 2017 thought cloud migration would never happen…that number is now 2%.
- SAP Aims to Simplify Data Analytics in the Cloud - If you’ve been thinking of migrating your on-prem SAP HANA, there’s good news - SAP wants to make it easier. They’re now offering customers the chance to run it simultaneously in the cloud in a hybrid manner.
- AWS launches Amazon Honeycode, a no-code mobile and web app builder - Magic happened last Wednesday. AWS is making it possible for anybody to build their own custom mobile and web applications - developer or not. Starting a business? Get your whole team aligned with self-made apps for scheduling, to-do lists, etc. Say goodbye to Excel spreadsheets!
- Cloud Providers Evaluating Multi-Vendor Solutions for 400 Gbps Connectivity, According to 650 Group - In case it wasn’t yet obvious that your datacenter can’t compete with the hyperscalers, checkout this article about the shift to 100 & 400Gbps network ports in the hyperscalers!
That’s all for June 2020. If you’ve had a good time with us this newsletter, let us know by sharing on social media (links below) and keep your friends up to date.
And in case you missed it, check out our May newsletter.
Stay united and see you in July!