Frequently Asked Questions
What can we help you find?
Frequently Asked Questions
Can’t find the answer you’re looking for? Reach out to our customer support team.
- What are the most common use cases for Tidal?
Tidal supports a wide variety of use cases, including:
- Cloud Migration - Tidal helps you understand your application portfolio, identify the best candidates for migration, and plan your migration strategy following a proven 6R methodology (Retain, Retire, Rehost, Replatform, Refactor, Replace). Tidal Accelerator delivers a 6R recommendation engine for companies looking to scale from 10 to 1000s of applications consistently and quickly.
- Application Modernization - Tidal helps you understand your application portfolio, measuing business and missions, as we well as technology components in order to identify the best candidates for modernization. Tidal also helps you plan your modernization and delivers a single source of truth for your modernization project team and application owners to collaborate on the journey together.
- Application Rationalization - Tidal helps you understand your application portfolio, identify the best candidates for rationalization, and plan your rationalization strategy.
- Application Portfolio Management - Tidal helps you understand your application portfolio, measuring technology debt, application complexity and business value in order to identify the best candidates for rationalization, modernization or migration during investment planning cycles.
IP Address Management (IPAM)
- On premises, in the cloud, or both, Tidal helps you understand your IP address space quickly and easily with our LightMesh capability. You can start with a spreadsheet, cloud integration or our
- What is IP Address Management (IPAM) and how does it differ from DDI?
IP Address Management, commonly referred to as IPAM, is a crucial category in network management that focuses specifically on the allocation, administration, tracking, and management of IP address spaces. Unlike DDI solutions, which encompass DNS (Domain Name System), DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), and IPAM, the IPAM category stands on its own as a specialized field.
IPAM primarily deals with the organization and management of IP address spaces, ensuring efficient use of IP addresses, avoiding conflicts, and maintaining accurate data about the status, allocation, and availability of IP addresses within a network. In contrast, DDI solutions offer a broader scope by integrating DNS and DHCP services alongside IPAM, making them more comprehensive but often more complex.
At Tidal Cloud, we recognize the unique needs of managing IP address space by network teams when operating in the cloud, on-premises and during migration initiatives. That's why we offer Tidal LightMesh, a cloud-native IPAM solution specifically designed to address the challenges of IP address management.
Tidal LightMesh focuses exclusively on the problem of managing IP address space alone. It provides a streamlined and efficient approach for organizations looking to move away from traditional methods such as spreadsheets and homegrown tools, or from more comprehensive but potentially bloated DDI solutions. Tidal LightMesh's intuitive interface and robust features make it an ideal choice for organizations seeking a dedicated solution to manage their IP address infrastructure efficiently and effectively.
- Is there an API?
- Yes. Everything in Tidal is built upon our fully-documented RESTful API. Customers can interact with the API via Swagger documentation on their private instances as well. We strive to make the API as easy to consume as possible, as we become your platform of choice for aggregating application portfolio and systems data for your cloud migration and application modernization initiatives.
- Can I import data from my inventory system?
Yes. There are many ways to get data into Tidal, one of the
simplest is to just
import a spreadsheet
of Servers, Databases and Applications.
We have helped customers write integrations with a variety of operational systems and CMDBs such as BMC Remedy, using both our
tidal synccommand and our RESTful API directly.
- What data formats can I export to?
- You can download all your data in Excel from the search results screen for each of your Applications, Servers, Databases and Virtualization Clusters. Additionally, your cloud readiness assessment reports are always generated PDFs that you can export all at once, from the Application search results screen. For everything else, there’s our fully-documented RESTful API, in JSON format.
- Does it work with AWS (Amazon Web Services)?
- Yes. Tidal supports AWS migrations, with the six-Rs, or “6 Strategies for Migrating Applications to the Cloud”, baked right into our assessment feature.
- Does it work with Azure?
- Yes. Migrating to Azure is supported by Tidal. Plenty of customers have also used Tidal to assess their Azure environment for application modernization within the cloud too.
- Does it work with GCP (Google Cloud Platform)?
- Yes. Migrating to GCP, or planning your Kubernetes adoption can all be managed by Tidal.
- Do you support IPv6?
- Yes. IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are supported.
- Can I migrate from SolarWinds or Infoblox to Tidal LightMesh?
- Yes, absolutely. Please see the LightMesh documentation here for how to migrate your subnet and IP address data from SolarWinds, Infoblox and others to LightMesh IPAM in minutes.
- How do you discover all those sites and technologies behind my firewall?
When you you have DNS Tools and Tidal Tools installed, we will query your DNS for impacted sites, and then analyze their technology make up. You’re in control of what data gets sent to our platform, as everything executes locally on your machine and only when you use the
--uploadcommand is information collected sent to our platform.
- Do you integrate with VMWare?
Yes. You can use our
tidal synccommand to take a daily snapshot of your VMWare environment.
- Do you integrate with HyperV or SCVMM?
Yes! There are a few ways to integrate with windows
environments, and we have powershell to do it all neatly and
tidal sync. For example, if you have WinRM enabled in your environment, you can use these scripts to extract CPU, RAM and Storage information very quickly, and without installing agents.
- Do you support agentless discovery?
- Yes, all our discovery methods are agentless: our server statistics for usage trending and our application level technology discovery.
- We already use another tool for discovery, do you replace that?
- Likely not. You would have purchased that discovery tool for a specific use-case and Tidal is focused on getting just-enough-data to help you through your cloud and transformation journey. Think of Tidal as a platform for integrating various discovery sources to, for further analysis and planning.
- How secure is your platform?
- Security of user data is at the core of our design process, part of our development processes, and not an afterthought. All data is encrypted in transit using the latest TLS protocols and at rest using the industry standard AES-256 encryption algorithm. Our software is continuously updated with multiple releases per day, meaning we can address security issues very quickly. User access is strictly controlled by you on an invite-only basis. You are in control.
- Is there a free-trial?
- Yes, there is a 14-day free trial available. You can get started and login here.
- Do you offer email and telephone support?
- Yes we do! Our office hours are 8am to 8pm EST and we respond to all support requests within one business day. For our Assessment-as-a-Service customers, we also offer support via a Slack workspace which we setup as a Virtual War Room to work with you through the process.
Support and Services
Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. Feel supported with issue reporting, feature request submission, product roadmap insights, and feature releases. Our team of Tidal Experts exist to get you to valuable outcomes with your migration – faster than you could on your own.
Documentation site for Tidal Accelerator and integrations.
Documentation site for getting started with Tidal LightMesh.
Get in touch with us, we can directly answer questions.
Engage Our Team
Professional services to help you get to valuable outcomes.